Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Endless Potato Soup

I was so excited for the potatoes in this week's share! I can't wait to make a pot of my favorite soup. Well, I say that about every soup, but this one really is close to the top. Simple to prepare and delightful to eat I think you will love it too!

Wash and gently scrub your potatoes, careful not to scrub the skin off. Cut into bite sized pieces and put into 3 quarts of your favorite stock. I use Frontier Vegan Chicken Broth, but you can use chicken stock or veggie stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. You can add garlic and onions as desired. At this point I add a generous amount of greens to my pot. You can use spinach, collard greens, swiss chard, or kale. If you choose to use kale it is best to steam or saute it first. Simply put it in a steamer basket over boiling water for 5 minutes, or chop and put in a saute pan with water and cook and stir for 5 minutes. It is perfectly fine to mix and match your greens. Remember that 6 cups of raw greens will cook down to only 1 cup so plan accordingly! Let simmer for 7-10 minutes and then add chopped fresh herbs of your choice. Parsley, dill, cilantro, basil, or oregano all work beautifully. Let simmer a few more minutes, salt and pepper to taste, and ENJOY! This recipe is so WIDE OPEN! You can add anything that is in season and suits your mood. Grated carrot, grated zucchini, chopped tomato, radish, bell peppers, cabbage, broccoli...You get the idea. Smoked sausage, ham, chopped cooked chicken breast, or Italian sausage can be added if you  like. I absolutely go wild for it with chopped tomato and cilantro and a squeeze of lime. But this week I enjoyed it with dill and garlic. Accompanied by hummus and fresh greens wrapped in a tortilla it made a delicious lunch. Please post your favorite variation of Endless Potato Soup so we can try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment