Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rhubard Custard Pie

It's not actually time for a new post yet, but 2 people have messaged and asked what they can do with rhubarb when they don't have strawberries! Rhubarb Custard Pie is one super easy answer. This is not the prettiest pie I make, but don't let that stop you. It won't  have you stirring and stirring over a hot stove so that makes up for it's looks! Simply chop your rhubarb into small pieces and sprinkle 1 Tbsp of sugar over your rhubarb and stir. 3-4 cups of rhubarb is a good amount for this pie, but don't worry if you are a little over or under that amount! Stir together 3 eggs, 1 1/2  cups of sugar, 2 Tbs milk, 1/4 cup flour  and then add the rhubarb. Mix and put into your favorite crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 50-55 minutes. I will admit that  this pie is not my usual healthy fare, but my guests have always loved it! You can definitely serve thin slices. A cup of Cerulean coffee is a must in my book, but you can use your favorite.

If you are simply too busy to use your rhubarb you can always chop it and put it in a freezer bag for later in the year when you need a reminder of warmer days! No need to blanch or sweeten ahead of time, just chop and freeze!

1 comment:

  1. Sent this to my Facebook wall, I lost my grandma's recipe and this is very close. I am going to try stevia with this next spring..Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete