Saturday, July 30, 2011

Saturday Morning Zucchini Lemon Muffins with Flax and Blueberries


 
Yum! This morning I made Zucchini Lemon muffins that also used flax and I couldn't wait to share! The recipe is simple, but the results are delicious. They taste even better if you still have bed head!






Saturday Morning Zucchini Muffins

2 cups flour-I used a mix of spelt and quinoa. 
1/2 cup sugar-I used evaporated cane juice
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp. real salt
 grated peel of 1/2 lemon
         2 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 Tbsp water (stir together until thick)
                     1/3 cup oil-I used coconut
                     1/2 cup milk-I used almond
                     1cup shredded zucchini
                     1 cup blueberries

Combine dry ingredients including lemon peel.
Mix flax, milk, and oil and add to flour mixture.
Fold in zucchini, and then add blueberries.
Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. 
I made a glaze of 1 Tbsp powdered sugar and 1tsp almond milk, with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice! If desired drizzle over the top of the warm muffins and eat right away! 


You can use a coffee grinder or a high-powered blender to grind your flax seeds. They really add a solid nutritional boost to these muffins. Flax is a great source of fiber, and ALA-an essential fatty acid. Flax also contains lignans which may be useful in fighting cancer.  In this recipe I used ground flax seeds and water to substitute for eggs. You can use the ratio of 1 Tbsp flax to 3 Tbsp water in place of one egg in any recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment