Saturday, September 17, 2011

Empty Plate Zucchini Patties-Finally!

I said this would be posted last week, but  ER visits, kidney stones, colds, teething toddlers, and potty training got in the way! Sorry! However, this recipe was too good to forget about, and there are plenty of zucchini left to be had. I had to call these Empty Plate Zucchini Patties because every time I came back to get the plate and take a picture this is what I found!Crumbs but no culprit!
So you will have to take my word and my empty plate, about how delicious they are!
 
Empty Plate Zucchini Patties
1 can chickpeas 15.5 ounces
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs or finely crushed tortilla chips as a gluten free option
1/4 cup nutritional yeast  or Parmesan cheese(optional)
1 zucchini unpeeled, seeded, and shredded
1 red pepper grated
1 garlic clove grated
1 onion grated
1 egg or 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 2 tbsp water
1 tsp salt
Mash chickpeas until smooth. I used a potato masher. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, and form into thin patties. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a pan and fry until brown on both sides. I ate mine like a sandwich, but the others in my house hold ate them straight from the plate! 
If you are unfamiliar with nutritional yeast it is a product widely used in vegan diets. It is a great source of protein, B vitamins, and fiber. It adds a sort of cheesy taste to foods while allowing them to remain dairy free! It is worth trying if you haven't had it before, even if you don't follow a vegan diet.
Have a great Sunday-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment