Friday, September 2, 2011

Too Good To Be True Tomato Soup

Tomato soup is such a timeless comfort food. The smell of it brings back  memories of long afternoons and grilled cheese sandwiches. Canned tomato soup contains a few tomatoes and a lot of unnecessary ingredients including high fructose corn syrup, and the ever mysterious, unidentified 'flavorings'. Mine has tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and a sprinkle of salt. You won't miss the mystery flavoring, I promise! Tomatoes are so low in calories and high in vitamins. This soup is as good for you as it is good tasting. It is loaded with Vitamins A, C, lots of lycopene and has a fair amount of fiber. With only 1 tbsp of olive oil in the whole recipe it is also low in fat. Canned tomato soup usually contains wheat of some kind as well. This recipe is blissfully gluten free!


Too Good To Be True Tomato Soup

6-8 large ripe tomatoes-any kind will work, I used a selection of heirloom varieties including yellow, black, and red.  If you use a small variety of tomato, just use more!
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
fresh basil
Slice tomatoes and onions in thick wedges,  peel garlic, and place all on a cookie sheet.  Drizzle with the olive oil and roast at 350 for 35 minutes. Place everything in blender, including fresh basil and process until smooth. THAT'S IT! See why I think it's too good to be true? This makes a small pot, but you can use more to make a big pot! Just remember to process your roasted tomatoes in batches. 
Serve with made to order grilled cheese sandwiches. Thinly sliced onion and swiss chard are absolutely delicious on a grilled cheese! Fresh tomato slices with mozzarella and basil are fantastic with this too. To keep true to my dairy free diet, I used my new favorite cream cheese spread! Check out the recipe below!




Creamy Veggie Spread
8 ounces of softened cream cheese-I use Tofutti brand Better Than Cream Cheese, but Philly will work just fine too. The rest is absolutely up to you! I make this different each time depending on my mood! This time I used a purple and a yellow pepper, a green onion, fresh garlic, and grated carrot. Simply mix together and use as a sandwich spread! I had mine with fresh tomato slices and greens toasted on Dill Rye bread. So good dipped in the soup! The meat eaters in my house like their sandwiches with the veggie spread, turkey breast, a slice of cheddar, and a tomato slice toasted on whole grain sandwich bread. Try using garlic, onion, and dill then topping with very thinly sliced roast beef, and sharp cheddar. Served on hearty bread and toasted it is a sandwich even your husband will love! I had a friend over for lunch and made an open faced version using french bread, the sandwich spread, spinach, tomato, and artichokes placed under the broiler until bubbly and lightly browned! I think today I will  use cilantro, hot pepper, lime juice, roasted corn, and finely chopped Swiss chard on a brown rice tortilla for a delicious quesadilla. I may add green peppers and  jalapeno to my roasted tomatoes, swap the fresh basil for cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon juice, and treat myself to Spicy Tomato soup to dip my quesadilla wedges in. Let us know what you put in your sandwich spread! 

As you enjoy your summer share of produce it is time to be thinking ahead towards fall. We have a limited number of shares available. You can get the details at our Local Harvest website:http://www.localharvest.org/goldwood-gardens-M26173. 

No comments:

Post a Comment