Thursday, June 28, 2012

Oh So Good Rosemary Pot Roast with Summer Veggies

I had the chance to make the slow cooked beef roast that I mentioned yesterday, so I thought I would post pictures and more specific instructions. I don't eat meat, but it got rave reviews from my family. I did try a small bowl of the veggies and the flavor was rich yet summery.


Rosemary Pot Roast

1 beef roast-use grass fed local beef if possible, I used a sirloin tip roast
2 bunches of thumbelina carrots or carrots of your choice
1 bunch of small turnips or 2 large turnips
2 ball zucchini or 1 medium zucchini
2 chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can of diced tomatoes 
15 small to medium red skin potatoes or 5 potatoes quartered
5 small onions
3 garlic cloves
salt-I used Celtic sea salt, but you can use your favorite
cracked black pepper
2 sprigs of rosemary 
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Marsala wine or red wine
1 cup beef broth

Place carrots, turnips, potatoes, onions, and garlic in slow cooker. Heat olive oil in cast iron pan or heavy skillet. Place rosemary sprig into pan while oil heats. While pan heats rub roast with salt and cracked pepper. Brown on all sides and then remove to slow cooker.
add the wine, broth and 1 sliced onion to the pan and stir. Let reduce for 5 minutes over med-low heat stirring often. Pour over roast and veggies in slow cooker. Add 1/2 cup water, place a new rosemary sprig on top of meat and cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6 hours. 1-2 hours before serving remove lid and add zucchini and tomato. You can add at the beginning, but they will virtually disappear into the sauce. When the roast is done cooking remove 2 cups of juice from slow cooker to make gravy, if desired.  I melted 3 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan. Be careful not to brown the butter. When it is melted stir in 2 tbsp of flour with a whisk. When smooth, add the cooking liquid slowly while whisking. Let thicken and then serve with meat and veggies.


If you are looking for a local source for delicious grass-fed beef try Avis Acres. You can find them each week at the Farmers Market. Chris Lilly and his wife Jennifer have turned sustainable farming into a passionate lifestyle. They have lots of other products available too.

If you need a just right, light and refreshing dessert for this dinner I think my Carrot Green-Mixed Fruit Smoothie will hit the spot. At least it did for us on this 100+ day!

Carrot Green and Mixed Fruit Smoothie

1 1/2 cups carrots greens trimmed to right below leafy green part
2 1/4 cups mixed frozen fruit-I used peaches, pineapple and 
   strawberries
1/2 cup water

Place all in blender and blend on smoothie cycle until well blended. If your blender doesn't have a smoothie cycle simply blend on high until smooth. We have been drinking green smoothies for a long time so this is very sweet for us with just the fruit, but if you are new to them you can add some honey or agave syrup to taste. You can add ice if you want a different texture. If you don't like the green color add frozen blueberries or raspberries for a purple smoothie. You can add a few carrots too if you want to add some beta-carotene and some sunny sweetness!Even my 2 year old loves these, and you can tell my the smile on my four year old's face that he agrees! 
He doesn't even know he's getting a health boosting dose of chlorophyll and vitamin k. :) Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks sooo yummy! Ever since learning about grass fed beef, I've been serving it more, I've been searching for different grass fed roast recipes. Rosmary makes everything taste so good. I look forward to trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice-Thanks for your comment! We hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete