Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sunset Slaw

I love, love, love, beets and turnips so this week our share was perfect for me. I roast them often, but wanted something different. Something that screamed summer, so I created this slaw. It is so easy, so delicious and so pretty too! I want to serve it for a late dinner on the deck while watching the sun set. It is a great compliment to barbeque of any kind, though we served it with garlic, parsley, grilled pork steaks. I want to try it on top of a pulled pork sandwich, or actually in my case, a barbequed bean sandwich.


Sunset Slaw

1/2 large head of cabbage or 1 whole small head
2 small bunches of small early beets -I used gold, red, and white beets-peeled if desired
1 small bunch of turnips-peeled
3 green onions
1 1/4 cup mayo, I used Follow my Heart Vegenaise
3 tbsp evaporated cane juice or sugar
3 tbsp Dijon mustard or honey mustard
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp real salt or sea salt
black pepper to taste

Chop or shred cabbage and place into bowl. Peel beets and grate or chop and add to cabbage. Peel Turnips and grate into bowl. Slice onions and add. Mix the rest of the ingredients together for dressing and pour over cabbage mixture. Toss well and refrigerate until chilled and ready to serve. 

*Because I was using early beets that are small and tender, I scrubbed them well and chopped them with the peel on. Beware that using fresh beets can give your hands a fuchsia color that may clash with your outfit! :)  

If you are looking for other things to try with your turnips, simply slice and spread with natural peanut butter! So quick, healthy and delicious!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment