Thursday, August 23, 2012

RockStar Pizza Sauce

Pizza is the perfect blank canvas for your hidden creativity. I can't make a painting or picture that many would appreciate, but pizza is my masterpiece. :) I made this super-easy, unbelievably delicious sauce the other night and my nine year old son, declared it 'RockStar'. Yes, we watch a lot of Food Network. These are easy, but delicious variations.

RockStar Pizza Sauce

Tomatoes-I used cherry and Roma, you can use whatever you have
2 sweet peppers chopped
1 or 2 hot peppers-1 pepper won't make it spicy, but really adds depth to the flavor, 2 will add a little heat
1 onion chopped
3 whole garlic cloves                 
basil leaves

Chop all ingredients and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast at 450 degrees, it is important to roast them long enough that the liquid evaporates. 
 Stir occasionally while roasting.


 When it looks like this it still has too much liquid and you will have a watery finished product. If that happens, put your sauce in a pan and let simmer to reduce the liquid.







This is what it looks like when it is just right! It is worth the wait.   After it gets to this stage simply put it all in the blender and blend. I have a high-powered blender so it only takes one cycle, but if you don't simply keep blending until the right consistency is reached.



 This is just the perfect sauce consistency! Now the fun starts. My husband loves nothing more than a classic extra cheese pizza, so that's what we made first. You can add anything!! If you haven't tried your pizza with sauteed veggies, just do it! Trust me, you won't be disappointed! Use yellow squash, zucchini, greens, onions, peppers, garlic, and whatever else sounds good to you. Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan, or feta, or my favorite, goat cheese. SO GOOD!!
I love this tomato sauce because it is so good when used on pasta too. If you make a large batch and have extra left, you can pop it in the freezer for later use. You will be glad you did!

Because I just can't bring myself to conform, I use pesto instead of tomato sauce for my pizza.
Make your favorite pesto recipe or use the one below. Then spread on the crust, top with fresh sliced Roma tomatoes, sprinkle fresh Parmesan and feta and bake at 450  until golden! This is my favorite pizza ever, hands down. The roasted tomato and the pesto and the feta are so good together!


Perfect Pesto

2 cups of basil leaves, I used purple and green
1/4 cup almonds, or pine nuts, or sunflower seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese if desired

Process in a food processor until almost smooth. If you don't have 2 cups of basil leaves, try adding parsley, spinach, kale, or  Swiss chard for in place of one cup of the basil. If you have any abundance of basil you can make this and put it in the freezer with your pizza sauce. You can freeze it in glass containers or ziploc baggies, or in ice cube trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment