Thursday, November 1, 2012

Never Enough Acorn Squash

 
Yes, you read it right, and yes I mean it. I can't get enough acorn squash. I love the way they look piled in a wooden bowl on my table. I love the way they smell when they are roasting, and I love eating them. They are just right. Not too sweet and I personally love the grainy texture. If you sigh deeply each time you look at your growing pile of squash then this post is just for you. All things acorn squash. I think after you try some of these recipes you will agree with me that you can never have enough acorn squash.      



Maple Glazed Acorn Squash            
1 acorn squash cut in half-save the seeds for later
2 tbsp butter-softened
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts if desired

Mix the softened butter, syrup, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Place 1/2 of mixture into the well of each  squash half. Put squash into a pan and cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until squash can be pierced with a fork. Remove the foil and use a pastry brush to spread the melted mixture onto the squash. Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes, uncovered.  This is so delicious! After trying this you may just want to get more acorn squash so you can serve these on Thanksgiving.
Just multilply this recipe times the number of squash you want to use.

Cumin and Chili Powder Acorn Squash Rings
1 acorn squash cut into rings. Remove seeds and pulp from center of rings. Save the seeds for roasting. Place rings on a baking sheet and bush with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt, chili powder, and cumin. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Believe it or not you can eat the skin. It is  delicious! These are a perfect complement for Chipotle Roasted Pork Shoulder. Recipe to follow!






Roasted Acorn Squash Seeds
Rinse the seeds and spread on a baking sheet to let dry. Don't give in to the temptation to put the seed on paper towels. You WILL regret it! I have learned this the hard way. :( The fibers from the paper towels will stick to and ruin your seeds. So be patient! After they are dry, drizzle with olive oil and stir or toss to cover all seeds. Now add salt or other seasonings to suit your mood. I like garlic salt and pepper. I LOVE them with a light sprinkling of sugar and cayenne pepper. Bake at 250 for 20 minutes. You can add these to salads or mix them in with snack mix. At my house they hardly ever make it off of the baking sheet, my kids love them!

Smashed Acorn Squash
My little guy calls mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes, and I thought the title worked for this recipe as well. Simply bake the squash halves until soft and then scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. Salt and black pepper to taste. Stir with a fork until well blended. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired. 






No comments:

Post a Comment