Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Perfect End to the Evening

I wanted to get to this posted so you could have the perfect end to your evening tonight. The strawberries from your share this week are so fresh that they won't last long, but with this recipe you won't have to worry about that. I saw chocolate shortcakes on the cover of Midwest Living when I was in a doctor's office waiting room, but got called in before I could write down the recipe. So I decided I'd have to do it for myself. This is the result. It got two thumbs up from my husband and all five boys who were here to eat it last night. That doesn't happen often. Enjoy!

Perfect Ending Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake

1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 2/3 cups flour 
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 stick of cold butter 
1 egg
2/3 cup milk or half and half
Whipping cream or ice cream if desired
 
Preheat the oven to 425. Mix all of the dry ingredients and then use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the stick of butter into the dry ingredients. Combine the milk and egg and add to the flour mixture.  Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet that is lightly greased. Sprinkle sugar very lightly over the top of each shortcake. Bake for 10-12 minutes. While the cakes are baking slice 1 quart of strawberries and then add 3 tbsp sugar. Serve fresh from the oven with the fresh whipped cream or ice cream and the strawberries over the top.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment